(Reuters) – Senior cabinet officials in the Trump administration agreed to new measures to restrict the global supply of chips to China’s Huawei Technologies, sources familiar with the matter said, as the White House ramps up criticism of China over coronavirus.
Under the change, foreign companies that use U.S. chipmaking equipment would be required to obtain a U.S. license before supplying Huawei. The Chinese telecoms company was blacklisted last year, limiting the company’s suppliers.
Because most chipmaking equipment used worldwide relies on American technology, the change would represent a major expansion of export control authority that some trade experts have said would anger U.S. allies.
It is unclear if President Donald Trump, who appeared to push back against the proposal last month, will sign off on the rule change.
The new measures came after U.S. officials from various agencies agreed on Wednesday to alter the Foreign Direct Product Rule, which subjects some foreign-made goods based on U.S. technology or software to U.S. regulations, the sources said.
See author's posts
Boris Johnson: World reacts to British PM’s coronavirus downturn
China reports no new coronavirus deaths for first time
Shares rise as new daily coronavirus cases fall, pound steadies
Japan set to announce record economic stimulus package
Pell to walk free after Australia court quashes convictions
2014 Powered By Wordpress, Goodnews Theme By Momizat Team